During the 14th Century, the site on which the property is located played host to Cardinal Amédée de Saluces’ private livery. Cardinal de Saluces was a key member of the Papal entourage, an ambassador to many of the kingdoms of Europe, and his whole household – private and professional – lived and worked in the buildings surrounding the property.
At the time, the property extended as far as the Place des Carmes.
The north wing of the current house, home to the kitchens, was built in the 18th Century.
During the 19th Century, the property was purchased by an insurance company based in Marseille, and the current main building was added on to the original 18th Century wing in order to provide staff accommodation.
In 1919, the house fell into the hands of an industrial magnate, involved in the production of heating bricks in the surrounding Vaucluse region. He never lived in the building, but rented it out to a variety of local dignitaries.
The national France Culture radio station also set up home in the gardens of the property in July, running outside broadcasts. The association which rented the property transformed all of the rooms into teaching spaces, and let it decline until the owner suddenly decided to sell.
And that’s where Amaury de Villoutreys & Gilles Jauffret come in…